Time to make : 3 hours Prep to Table
Hot cross buns Hot cross buns
One a penny Two a penny
Hot cross buns
Growing up we all learnt this nursery rhyme . It’s so significant today , if we were going to church , the priest after Maundy Thursday mass would have been distributing Hot cross buns . Normally to be eaten the next day on Good Friday . Hot cross buns are spicy & sweet made with fruit or raisins traditionally marked with a cross on top. It normally marks the end of lental season .
Most bakeries especially in smaller towns will bake them one day before Good Friday and deliver them to your doorstep ( without a lockdown ) . The picture on the blog is of hot cross bun in Jabalpur. My uncle Albert had bought these for Good friday in 2017. . It’s the last time we spent time with him. It’s in his honor and memory I make these . The buns either have fruit or raisins or have tutty frutty in them adding a little flavor but I will confess of digging out the raisins before eating them .( Mom gets the raisins in her plate ) . I changed this recipe from the original , Firstly used part Whole Wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour and I did my own flavoring of all spice , raisins and blueberries
It’s a simple recipe . I did make the mistake of not kneading it enough , but really happy with the outcome .
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons Warm water
- 1 cup milk
- 100 gms Amul butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 100 grams raisins
- 50 grams blueberry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons All spice *
(* For All spice : Ground 10gms each of Cinnamon , Cloves, Cardamon , Nutmeg together)
For the flour paste
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon warm milk
- In a bowl , Mix the lukewarm water and yeast. Let it sit until dissolve for about 5 minutes. Mix for about another minute .
- Soak the raisins and the dried blueberries in some hot water and keep aside
- In another bowl mix warmed milk, with butter , sugar, salt . Stir well till the butter is mixed and melted . Once the mixture has cooled add a half of the whisked egg into this .
- Add the yeast mixture to the milk and egg mixture and whisk .
- In large bowl , Mix the wheat flour , flour ( maida ) , all spice and whisk with a folk .( I used a folk to mix my dough. )
- Poured in my milk egg mixture into the flour and mixed till this was combined ( like you would make atta for rotis ) . I poured this out on a flat surface and kneaded it till mix well .
- Flattened the dough and added the raisins and blueberries and folded the dough.
- Placed this dough into a greased large bowl. Cover with a cloth , leave it for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled.
- One risen or doubled in quantity , punch this down , take out the same and divide into equal parts forming buns and rest it on the baking sheet for 20 mins .
- Once the buns are risen , brush on a egg wash .
- For making the Flour paste – Mix the flour and sugar with milk to make the paste for the cross Add a spoon of milk at time to ensure a thickness of the paste . I made the crosses on the buns by spooning the paste over it .
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C degrees . Bake until the crust is deep golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 35 minutes ( approx )
Take this out and let them cool .
These are best eaten warm .